Steve Youel, City of Placerville
Kathi Lishman, Community Pride
Disabled American Veterans - Chapter 63
Fleet Reserve Association - Branch & Unit 275
Marine Corps League - Detachment 697
Veterans of Forewign Wars - Camerado Post 10165
El Dorado County Veterans Memorial Building Council
Mountain Democrat Article & Slide show, GO HERE: http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/vietnam-kia-in-citys-heart/attachment/mde_5563ew/
Dave Braxelton of Western Sign
Doug Veerkamp Engineering
Bruce Harkey Construction
Chapman Monument company
Marilyn Ferguson & Josette Johnson, research
April Evans Designs
Placerville City Council
Community Pride Committee
During historic “Old Hangtown,” locals referred to the intersection of Bedford & Main Street as “Stoney Point,” a well-known reference point in the streetscape of Placerville. The term likely came from natural rock exposed by movement along the Melones Fault zone. In 1926, the property was gifted to the City of Placerville for the sole purpose of “use & enjoyment of the citizens of Placerville.” The Native Sons erected a small museum which housed the Concord Coach, that was later moved to the El Dorado County Historical Museum. In 1865, a bell was purchased to hang in the Bell Tower. Used as a “battle call” against fire danger, the bell developed a crack. After several attempts at repair, the bell was finally retired and eventually moved to the front of the existing District Attorney’s Office. Adopted by Community Pride Committee in 1990, the project area became known as the "Bell at Bedford” project. Steve Pace & Dennis Colbath maintained the project until recent Caltrans improvements required the removal of the bell, its walls, gardens, & amenities.
Afterwards, a three-phase program was initiated. Phase I of our restoration efforts was to make the historic bell available to the community again. Lack of funding required Debra Power's triump l'oeil painting of cement posts to emulate wood posts that support the bell. In November, 2016 the bell was reinstalled. Special thanks to Sierra Nevada Tire & Wheel!
Phase II of the Monument Garden Project was to provide a permanent home for the veterans' plaques. Between 1968 - 1973, Carl Borelli initiated a program to honor local fallen veterans of the Vietnam War. Bronze plaques were installed beneath the bay laurel trees in downtown Placerville. Outgrowing their space, the street trees eventually required removal and the Vietnam Veterans' plaques were lost, removed, or scattered throughout Placerville for several years - along the El Dorado Trail, family members, window at Town Hall. Community Pride members, City staff, and local veterans groups designed and erected a monument to house the Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Plaques. On November 12, 2017 the Vietnam Veteran Monument was unveiled to the community. Special thanks to Kathi Lishman and Steve Youel for spearheading this project.
Phase III will provide for public enjoyment of this public space: benches, raised-bed planters, along with colorful, low-water landscape, and night-lighting. When complete, this project will create a public space to rest, relax, and pay homage to local veterans. Current progress for this project has depended on Caltrans mitigation. Unfortunately, Caltrans’ environmental and cultural mitigation has just barely covered the engineering and landscape design process. Though fundraising efforts are in progress, the project is now unfunded. Your donations will help fund the last phase of our plan: 1) colorful, low-water landscape, 2) raised-bed planters & benches , and 3) night-lighting.
The " River of Gold '' Ore Cart Project is located on the north side of Highway 50 & Bedford Avenue, inviting visitors to the abandoned gold/silver mine at Gold Bug Park. During the late 1800's, the residential neighborhood above the Ore Cart sprung up as downtown merchants filled the Hangtown Creek Watershed / canyon with cottages and Victorian mansions near their storefronts in Downtown Placerville.
The creation of the Ore Cart Garden was one of the first projects of Community Pride members in 1990. Carol Patton & Rich Zito designed the landscape & irrigation plans. Kathi Lishman continues to care for this project through thick & thin; Caltrans Improvement Project required the removal of the entire ore cart project in 2010. To date, the Ore Cart Garden is being restored, still again under the watchful eyes of Kathi! Restoration efforts are to be funded by Caltrans mitigation monies from Highway Improvement Project(s). Future plans include blue marble chips to represent river rock. Vegetation will include crabapple trees with colorful drought-tolerant flowers to line the "River of Gold."